Gloucester Marine Genomics Institute
We are always keen to meet energetic and talented professionals who would like to join our team.
If you wish to be considered for any future positions, please send your CV and cover letter to:
55 Blackburn Center
Gloucester, MA 01930
Gloucester Marine Genomics Institute (GMGI) is Gloucester’s exciting non-profit science and educational organization, founded in 2013. Our mission is to conduct world-class marine biotechnology research which expands the regional economy. Our strategy includes establishing a marine biotechnology research institute, creating a vibrant science learning environment and training local high school graduates for careers as professional lab technicians, and helping develop a science community in and around Gloucester.
GMGI is currently seeking a Development Director to oversee our donor relations program and manage our fundraising initiatives. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for developing our fundraising campaigns, communicating with current and prospective donors, and building a sustainable professional development function assuring annual fundraising goals are met. Embracing our mission, the Development Director will work closely with the COO and the Board of Directors in all development and fundraising endeavors.
- Develop and execute GMGI’s annual fundraising plan, including annual giving, growth, and capital campaigns.
- Grow and develop our major gifts program, including identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major donors.
- Create and execute a strategy for a large sustained base of annual individual donors.
- Manage all aspects relating to corporate, foundation and business philanthropy, including strategically applying for appropriate philanthropic grant opportunities. Supervise grant writing consultants as needed.
- Manage the Salesforce development data base.
- Supervise the half-time Development Assistant.
- Contribute to communications strategy and materials, ensuring external communications are up to standards for a world-class research institute and training academy.
- Oversee organization of special events, engaging staff, participants, and partners as needed.
- BA (required)
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in development, including successful track record with major gifts fundraising
- Be a “self-starter” and goal driven to initiate donor visits and fundraising calls
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, communication skills, and social media
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, familiar with presentation media
- Experience tracking donors and gifts with a database; knowledge of development software
- Possess skills to work with and motivate staff, board members and other volunteers
- Be organized and exhibit “follow through” on tasks and goals
- Represent the organization with impeccable social judgement
- Knowledge of biotechnology a plus
- Ability to work flexible hours including occasional evenings and weekends, as needed
- Pass CORI check
How to Apply:
Submit resume and cover letter to Chris Munkholm, COO: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Fisheries Research Scientist – Genetics/Genomics
Advances in next-generation sequencing and genome-wide analysis are enabling new applications in fisheries and aquaculture. Gloucester Marine Genomics Institute (GMGI) is offering a unique opportunity to be a key player in shaping the future of the institution by contributing to ongoing projects and developing new research initiatives related to commercially important marine vertebrates and invertebrates. Our focus is to use genomic approaches to address questions about population structure, biodiversity, the genetic basis of phenotypic traits and adaptation to different marine environments. This position is an extraordinary opportunity for an ambitious entrepreneurial scientist who is interested in helping create a world-class research institute.
- Perform next-generation sequencing of commercially important marine organisms
- Analyze genomic data including genotyping using SNP markers
- Develop population structure models
- Identify and implement emerging technologies for fisheries such as eDNA
- Contribute to planning and execution of collaborative projects with leading academic and industry research groups
- Assist in grant writing and fund-raising efforts for the institution
- Lead and contribute to journal articles and reports
- Give presentations to both stakeholders and scientific audiences
- Represent GMGI at fishery industry and technology events and meetings
- PhD, or equivalent post-graduate experience in marine biology, fisheries science, population genetics, statistics, genomics or a related field.
- Experience generating and analyzing next generation sequencing data for fisheries or aquaculture applications
- Strong mathematical, and computational skills, and experience in population dynamics models
- familiarity with the Linux environment and basic knowledge in command line software, shell scripting and applying scripts of commonly used languages for biological data analysis (e.g. Perl or Python)
- Experience with commercially important finfish and shellfish species
- Strong relationships and history within the fishery community
- Self-starting, independent, creative thinker with strong problem solving skills
- History of success as a driving force in research projects
- Demonstrated record of leadership, integrity and flexibility
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
This position requires the desire, persistence and ability to work in a start-up environment and to help build a transformative research institute.
This position will report to the Science Director
Benefits: not specified.
Salary: commensurate with experience
Posting expiration date: until position is filled
How to apply: send cover letter and resume to Andrea Bodnar, email@example.com
About GMGI Gloucester Marine Genomics Institute (GMGI) is an exciting new independent marine biotechnology research institute. Founded in 2013 by three prominent scientist entrepreneurs, with legendary experience in the biotechnology field, GMGI is positioned to influence a new era of discovery and innovation in marine genomics science.
It is envisioned that GMGI will evolve into an eminent research institute focused on using the tools of genomics and proteomics to promote sustainable fisheries and uncover new discoveries in biomedicine and biotechnology. These new opportunities will enable formation of startup companies, leveraging any resulting intellectual property and innovations, and produce a powerful economic driver that will sustain the future Cape Ann economy and offer the region’s citizens with exciting new career paths. In addition, GMGI has launched a biotechnology training academy and is committed to establishing beautiful Cape Ann as a world-class science hub.